The Historic Village ~ Richmond ~ Tasmania
THE RICHMOND BRIDGE
Richmond Bridge, spanning the Coal River" is the oldest
surviving bridge in Australia and is still in daily use.
St. John's Church and the Mill House are also seen in this
An old photo of the Mill House
This is almost impossible for the tourist to photograph, it is surrounded
by many trees and shrubs ... we did try, but with no luck!
This Georgian-style Village is the oldest historic town in Tasmania and
is home to a number of 'historic firsts', including the oldest Roman
Catholic Church and the oldest Bridge as well as many other buildings.
The host of sandstone buildings and cottages make Richmond a
Richmond was first explored by Lt. Bowen in 1803.
The town was named Richmond because of its establishment on
90 acres of the Richmond Park property.
The town was officially named - by Lt Gov William Sorell - on
February 23 1824.
In the early years Richmond was an important police district.
The first part of the gaol was built in 1825, five years before
We are still trying to capture the beauty of Richmond,
but with very little luck. *Grins*
Return to Richmond ...Site Map
Return to Tales ...Site Map
Thank you for visiting.